Sunday 19 July 2009

Photos of Photos

I was recently asked to copy a photo for someone and also to see if I could improve it. The photo on the left is in a substantial frame and you can't take the photo out. My first thought was that I could scan the photo. I did this but the photo was out of focus. It looks like the glass is so thick that the photo can't be scanned. My next thought was to take a digital photo of the photo and then work on this secondary photo.

The first thing to deal with is the angle that the photo was taken from. If you take the picture directly from the front then everything is in proportion but the flash reflects and becomes part of the photo. Take it from the side like the photo on the left and you have to change the proportions back to what they were (the photo on the right). I'll talk you through some of the other changes in later blogs.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment