Wednesday 22 April 2009

The Camera Does Lie.

Yesterday's blog looked at defining the truth in photography. Does the camera lie? Well here is an example of the computer lying. It is a picture of the Butterfly House from the Ashton Memorial in Lancaster. The picture was taken in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday. It was a lovely day and there were a lot of people around. I was surprised to see so few people in the photo on the left.

I have removed those people in the photo on the right. I have made the grass a little greener near the trees in the foreground on the left. I have admitted to changing the photos but is it a lie? If I had waited long enough there would have been nobody in the photo. If I had waited much longer then the grass may have grown. It may be that you cannot accept changes like this and the photo on the right is a lie. However my defence rests on the photograph as art. Basically the picture looks nicer and my feeling is that if the grass looks better then it is a better photo.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment