Thursday 4 June 2009

Morecambe's Egyptian Connections

This building is on the prom in central Morecambe. Till Christmas 2008 it was a Woolworth's shop but has been closed since then. I took the photograph today (3rd June) partly because it was a nice evening and I went for a cycle ride, and partly because I wanted to show you the art deco design of the building. The most noticeable art deco building in Morecambe is, of course, the Midland Hotel, but there are many others.

The photo on the right is a close-up to point out a possible Egyptian connection with art deco. This is not my original thought but I heard it from Peter Wade who conducts walking tours of Morecambe. I can recommend them. Can you see the triangles which are possibly pyramids. Peter also mentioned glamourous names of hotels. There is one called 'Luxor' that is near Regent Park. Like most of the small hotels, it closed many years ago.

Are there any more Egyptian connections in Morecambe?

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment