Saturday 30 October 2010

Jean-Luc Godard

There is no photo today as I am on holiday in France. I should get back to England tomorrow as long as the French protestors don't get in the way but I thought I would give this blog a French theme by quoting Jean-Luc Godard. This French film director once said that photography is truth. To put it in context he did go on to say that the cinema is truth twenty-four times per second, but I was thinking of this qoute because I manipulate almost all of my photos and that is one reason why there are no photos today.

Does it matter if a leaf or a whole branch is removed from the photo as seen in Tuesday's blog entry? I don't think so but how can you go on to say that photography is truth? Well the camera does record what is in front of the lens but this information is manipulated by the settings of the camera and by the photographer. One "truth" may be a lovely view but from a slighty different angle the view may not be quite as nice. The truth is that photography is also an art form and is controlled by the photographer. Some photographers have more control than others.

Jean-Luc Godard's full quote is p
hotography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second. He also said that cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world so photography is truth and it is fraud. It is what you make it.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment