Monday 30 March 2009

A little bit more history

Still on the theme of photographers as historians, let's take another look at the Morecambe bandstand and the Midland Hotel. The photo on the left was taken in May 2008. It was taken only a couple of weeks after the photo from the 'photographers are historians' blog, but now the blue wooden fence has been taken down. The photo on the right was taken on Saturday 28th March. I had forgotten the exact location of the previous picture but I couldn't get to it anyway as the grassed area is fenced off.

You can see how run down the funfair had become. It was like a scene out of Scooby Doo. In the past few years I have often walked along the prom expecting Shaggy and Scooby to run past me. Take a closer look and you will see the sign for remote control boats. You may remember that directly opposite the bandstand was the stall where you could buy your 'JUG OF TEA £1.50' and next to it were the boat swings. The go-karts were just to the left of where I took the photos.

If you remember any other rides then let me know.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment