Monday 23 March 2009

Converging Verticals

I have tried to take a photo in which the verticals are converging. Basically you get close to something vertical and take your photo. The principle is the same as a road going into the distance. If an object is further away then it is smaller. If you are close to the pillars of Morecambe Town Hall then the upper part of the pillar is further away.

I found this task difficult because I don't like converging verticals. I should have gone a lot closer to the pillars. I could have corrected it by taking the picture from a distance and zooming in. I chose to correct it by manipulating the photo but both methods work. Some photographs use converging verticals as an effect, which is fine, but I just didn't want to get any closer to those pillars as I felt it would be difficult to recognise the picture. Notice that there is a gap between the top of the pillars on the left. I have distorted the photo on the right to make the pillars vertical, but the eye does this automatically. We know that pillars should be vertical so the eye does not recognise convergence. Who says the camera doesn't lie? Well the eye can lie too.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment