Sunday 20 December 2009

Henry Kissinger, I promise to be kind

There is a question in the Christmas quiz that was in yesterday's Independent that asks which American politician asked for photographer Richard Avedon to be kind to him. Richard was famous for his fashion photography and he did photograph many famous people including The Beatles, Marilyn Monroe and Andy Warhol. He took a famous photograph of Dwight D Eisenhower, but if you didn't buy the Independent yesterday then the answer to the question is Henry Kissinger.

I didn't mean to write a blog about Richard Avedon's portraits as the question made me think about the kindness of the photographer. However I don't think about being kind when I take portraits as I just think about getting the best photo. If I take a wedding group photograph I look for the smiles on the faces of the bride and groom. I always take two photos of groups so I compare the facial expressions of the rest of the group. In fact for the full group I take out an insurance of three photos.

When I take portraits I just look for the best expressions which does not necessarily mean that I am looking for a smile.Crying at weddings can lead to great photos and this includes the facial reactions to the person who is crying. In general I don't think about being kind as I just want the best portrait but Henry, if you want a portrait then I promise to be kind.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment