Wednesday 2 December 2009

Emotion in photographs

There was a supplement to the Guardian last week which was called 100 years of great press photographs. There were many famous photographs including one of Margaret and Denis Thatcher as they left Downing Street for the last time. Margaret looks particularly tearful. Capturing emotion produces powerful photographs.

The first time that I came across a tearful wedding guest I hesitated to take the photo. I have not hesitated since then because the photograph may be wanted. Whatever the bride and groom decide to do with the photographs afterwards is up to them. When I write blogs about weddings the subjects of the photos are almost always just the bride and groom as I ask their permission to write about them. Occasionally there are tears from the bride or groom but I don't think that I would ask their permission to use this type of photograph for publication, and I don't think Margaret was too happy about the Iron Lady showing her vulnerability.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment