Friday 16 April 2010

Corpus Christi and Pembroke

This is a photo of Old Court in Corpus Christi. It is the original court as the name suggests but it is now the second court as you walk through the main entrance. It is a fine medieval court and the most interesting thing for me is the famous people who have stayed there.

Christopher Marlowe studied here and another person I admire greatly stopped here for a two-day course a few years ago (me). I stopped in the room on the top floor fourth window from the left. I believe Christopher Marlowe's room was very close to this one.

On the right is the altar of Pembroke's chapel. The chapel itself was designed by Christopher Wren. Alumni include Peter Cook, Ted Hughes and Thomas Gray. I don't know where any of them stayed but I did know that William Pitt, our youngest PM studied here - well there is a statue of him close to the chapel.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment