Monday 23 February 2009

Wedding Photography - natural smiles


Last time I wrote about the classic poses at a wedding. I don't think that I have taken photos at a wedding without learning something on that day, so there is a lot to be said for experience. Each wedding is different and I learn something each time because the couples bring something to the day.

One thing that I like to do is take the couple for a short walk from the venue. This means that you get the whole of the building within the photo. In the case of the Ashton Memorial in Lancaster you have to walk for a few minutes to get a picture of the whole building. I did not expect this but the bride jumped into the arms of the groom. It made a great photo but this is obviously not a post for every couple.

I like natural smiles and I usually get natural smiles when someone makes a joke, when the confetti photo is taken, when I am lying on the floor taking a picture of the groomsmen in a scrum formation, and when the bride is lifted horizontally by the groomsmen. Another pose that I do not generally ask for is the 'piggy back'. However it does give a natural smile. At one wedding the best man walked round with us and was holding a card which said 'thank you'. Shortly after the wedding I received a 'thank you' card with my photo on it.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment