Sunday 23 January 2011

Rules are made to be broken

As well as the city centre, last Wednesday I also visited York University. If you know the university then you will know that the colleges are mostly built around a lake, and very nice it looks too. I was there in the early morning and the sun was just coming up. It was too dark for most photos and I took this one facing the sun. You hear the rules of photography like not taking photos towards the sun and then you practise breaking them.

The problem with shooting into the sun is exposure. Nothing is distinct because the sun is so bright. I got away with it because the sun had not risen fully. On the right I have made the cropping tighter and increased the contrast. In this case I preferred to lose detail on the horizon and this emphasises the detail in the main tree and its reflection.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment