Friday 5 November 2010

Can you guess what it is yet?

We are still in Paris. There is art everywhere and one morning I went to the Musee d'Orsay, but the problem for this blog was that I could not take any photos within the building. I didn't mind as on a previous visit to Paris I went to the Louvre and there were hundreds of photographers who did not realise that their flash damages paint. Flash has little affect on statues but the decision had been made to ban all photography.

These statues are outdoors and sunlight is a little bit harsher than flash. Much worse for the statues is the effect of weathering. You know how hard rain can fall. I want people to interact with art. I saw someone tapping a statue with an umbrella. You can't touch statues in museums. Getting a balance between appreciation and protection of art works is not easy. I believe that touching statues would not do them great harm. I believe that the public cannot be trusted to stop using their flash near canvas and an outright ban on photography in museums is a justified step.

As for the photos, I'll let you know where they were taken tomorrow but take a look and see if you recognise them.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment