Thursday 16 July 2009

Times to keep the camera hidden

I went to an anti-BNP meeting on the 13th and there were a lot of people supporting it. There was a policeman outside the building along with four civilians. You shouldn't stereotype people with shaven heads and tatoos who stand outside these meetings but don't intend to enter, so I will leave it up to you to think who they might be. I had taken my camera and I was considering taking a photo of the five of them but I decided not to. I thought that taking a photo may have been seen as intimidating for them. Why should I want a photograph? Could I use it as some kind of evidence against the four of them? I had considered taking a photo because it is a comment on what was happening. When we left the building only one person was there and he was texting. Was there a group of BNP supporters elsewhere? Was there going to be trouble? I don't think there was any trouble but I didn't get that photo.

If you search on the name Alex Turner photographer, you will discover that last week he was asked why he was taking photos in the high street. His story goes that he asked why they were asking. He refused to answer because he did not know what authority these people had. He was then arrested. One of the officers felt threatened because he took her photo. Alex puts forward the case that he is not an imposing figure and he was just taking a photo. Some may say that we should not be intimidated when we go about our lawful business. Sometimes it's better to keep your camera hidden.

Happy snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment